Licensed Clinical Social Worker
PhD Candidate, Social Work and Developmental Psychology
University of Michigan
29. Saasa, S., Ward, K. P., Sandberg, S., Jacobson, J. (in press). Financial hardship, neighborhood cohesion and child externalizing behaviors: An extension of the family stress model among immigrant mothers. Children and Youth Services Review.
28. Ward, K. P., Grogan-Kaylor, A., Pace, G. T., Cuartas, J., & Lee, S. J. (in press). A multilevel ecological analysis of the predictors of spanking across 65 countries. BMJ Open.
27. Ward, K. P. (in press). The transition to siblinghood: An understudied yet influential process pertinent to social work research. Social Work.
26. Rodriguez, C. M., Lee, S. J., & Ward, K. P. (2021). Underlying mechanisms for racial disparities in parent-child physical and psychological aggression and child abuse risk. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2021.105089
25. Lee, S. J., Ward, K. P., Rodriguez, C. M. (2021). Couples’ relationship conflict during the Covid-19 pandemic: A risk and resilience perspective. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. https://doi.org/10.1177/08862605211006359
24. Lee, S. J., Ward, K. P., & Lee, J. Y. (2021). Parental social isolation and child maltreatment risk during a pandemic. Journal of Family Violence. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10896-020-00244-3
23. Forsyth, S. M., & Ward, K. P. (2021). Media use and men’s approval of intimate partner violence in Honduras. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260521993926
22. Rodriguez, C., Lee, S. J., Ward, K. P., & Pu, D. F. (2021). The perfect storm: Hidden risk of child maltreatment during the Covid-19 pandemic. Child Maltreatment. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077559520982066
21. Grogan-Kaylor, A., Castillo, B., Pace, G. T., Ward, K. P., Ma, J., Lee, S. J., & Knauer, H. (2021). Global perspectives on physical and nonphysical discipline: A Bayesian multilevel analysis. International Journal of Behavioral Development. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165025420981642
20. Lee, S. J., Ward, K. P., Chang, O. D., & Downing, K. M. (2020). Parenting activities and the transition to home-based education during the Covid-19 pandemic. Children and Youth Services Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2020.105585
19. Saasa, S., Ward, K. P., & Escamilla, S. (2020). Immigrant generation, race, and socioeconomic outcomes of mothers in urban cities: Who fares better? Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-020-01059-6
18. Shaw, S. A., Ward, K. P., Pillai, V., Mahram, L., & Karim, H. (2020). A randomized clinical trial testing a parenting intervention among Afghan and Rohingya refugees in Malaysia. Family Process. https://doi.org/10.1111/famp.12592
17. Ward, K. P., & Lee, S. J. (2020). Mothers’ and fathers’ parenting stress, responsiveness, and child wellbeing among low-income families. Children and Youth Services Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2020.105218
16. Lee, S. J., Pace, G. T., Ward, K. P., Grogan-Kaylor, A., & Ma, J. (2020). Household economic hardship as a moderator of the associations between maternal spanking and child externalizing behavior problems. Child Abuse & Neglect. (advanced online publication). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2020.104573
15. Cuartas, J., Ward, K. P., Ma, J., & Grogan-Kaylor, A. (2020). Physical punishment and Colombian children’s and adolescents’ cognitive and behavioral outcomes. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2020.101140 *Findings were featured in a testimony in the Colombian House of Representatives when discussing a bill to ban corporal punishment in Colombia.
14. Ward, K. P., Wood, D. S., & Young, T. M. (2020). The effectiveness of a retreat intervention for female survivors of child sexual abuse. Research on Social Work Practice. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049731520921936
13. Grogan-Kaylor, A. C., Castillo, B., Ma, J., Ward, K. P., Lee, S. J., Pace, G. T., & Park, J. (2020). A Bayesian analysis of associations between neighborhoods, spanking and child externalizing behavior. Children and Youth Services Review. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2020.104930
12. Ward, K. P., Lee, S. J., Pace, G. T., Grogan-Kaylor, A., & Ma, J. (2019). Attachment style and the association of spanking and child externalizing behavior. Academic Pediatrics. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2019.06.017
11. Ward, K. P., Lee, S. J., Limb, G. E., & Grogan-Kaylor, A. (2019). Physical punishment and child externalizing behavior: Comparing American Indian, White, and African American children. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260519861678
10. Ward, K. P., & Limb, G. E. (2019). The importance of biological parent coparenting in an American Indian stepfamily context. Social Work Research. https://doi.org/10.1093/swr/svz009
9. Ward, K. P., & Limb, G. E. (2019). Emerging adult attachment and alcohol abuse among American Indians raised in stepfamilies. The British Journal of Social Work. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcz010
8. Ward, K. P., Porter, N. A., & Wood, D. (2019). The effectiveness of neurofeedback in an outpatient setting: A multilevel modeling approach. Research on Social Work Practice. https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1049731519831355
7. Ward, K. P., Limb, G., Higbee, S., & Haueter, H. (2019). Stepfamily closeness and depression among American Indian emerging adults: A structural equation modeling approach. Journal of Family Issues, 40(3), 267-292. https://doi.org/10.1177/0192513X18808574
6. Grogan-Kaylor, A., Ma, J., Lee, S. J., Castillo, B., Ward, K. P., & Klein, S. (2018). Using Bayesian analysis to examine associations between spanking and child externalizing behavior across race and ethnic groups. Child Abuse & Neglect, 86, 257-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2018.10.009
5. Ward, K. P., Shaw, S. A., Chang, M., & El-Bassel, N. (2018). Social support moderates the association between traumatic life events and depression among migrant and nonmigrant men in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 31(5), 698-707. https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.22324
4. Shaw, S. A., Ward, K. P., Pillai, V., & Hinton, D. (2018). A randomized controlled trial testing group mental health support for female Afghan refugees in Malaysia. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1037/ort0000346
3. Shaw, S. A., Pillai, V., & Ward, K. P. (2018). Assessing mental health and service needs among refugees in Malaysia. International Journal of Social Welfare, 28, 44-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijsw.12313
2. Limb, G. E., Hodge, D. R., Ward, K. P., Ferrell, A., & Alboroto, R. (2018). Developing cultural competence with LDS clients: Utilizing spiritual genograms in social work practice. Journal of Religion & Spirituality in Social Work: Social Thought, 37(2), 166-181. https://doi.org/10.1080/15426432.2018.1448033
1. Ward, K. P., Dennis, C. B., & Limb, G. (2018). The impact of stepfamily relationship quality on emerging adult non-medical use of prescription drugs. The American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 44(4), 463-471. https://doi.org/10.1080/00952990.2017.1405010
2. Limb, G., & Ward, K. P. (2019). Foster care and permanency issues for American Indian/Alaska Native families and children. In National Indian Child Welfare Association (Ed.), Impacts of child maltreatment in Indian Country: Preserving the seventh generation through policies, programs, and funding streams (pp. 256-284). [Congressional Report]. Portland OR: NICWA.
1. Red Horse, J., Limb, G., & Ward, K. P. (2019). Sovereignty, cultural competency, and family preservation. In National Indian Child Welfare Association (Ed.), Impacts of child maltreatment in Indian Country: Preserving the seventh generation through policies, programs, and funding streams (pp. 235-255). [Congressional Report]. Portland OR: NICWA.
Ward, K. P. (2021). Parenting During COVID-19: A Sentiment Analysis of Reddit Data. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/4ukmd
Ward, K. P., Lee, S. J., Chang, O. D. (2021). “Tell me what I’m doing wrong”: Criticism of parenting choices and mental health during COVID-19. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/vp985
Ward, K. P., Grogan-Kaylor, A., Ma, J., Pace, G. T., & Lee, S. J. (2021). Associations Between 11 Parental Discipline Behaviors and Child Outcomes Across 60 Countries. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/f5t8x
Ahmed, S., Ellis, A., Ward, K. P., Chaku, N., & Davis-Kean, P. (2021). Charting the functional form of working memory across two nationally representative samples. https://doi.org/10.31234/osf.io/yqdg6
University of Michigan FLINT SymposiumLearn More
BYU Social Work WebpageLearn More
University of Michigan Social Work WebpageLearn More
Program Evaluation Contracting Work, Child Sexual Abuse SurvivorsLearn More
Study on Men, Trauma, and Social SupportLearn More
Study on Spanking Across Racial GroupsLearn More
Study on Parenting During Covid-19Learn More
Study on Mental Health During Covid-19Learn More
Study on Parent Homeschooling During Covid-19Learn More